Listen to the click of my heels, make out my beat! ...Take a look at my exterior, tell me what you see! Live through my poems, dissect my speech! ...But do keep in mind, none of these define me! - SincereLee, Tierra

2.24.2009

..::Look of the Day::..[RECESSION-ISTA]

During times like this, if you aren't wealthy or consistent w. saving, money is more than likely a big issue. I'm neither, so at times I'm often frustrated when I go into a store and don't have the means to just buy w.e. it is that I want. [soo sucky!]

Saving is something that I've been working on and feel that I'm getting better at. I mean, for someone who loves clothes, and loves to shop I think it's quite imperative.

I've been into revamping pieces in my closet that I knew I'd probably never wear again [since forever] and that helps alot when you need a new top or want to spruce up the bottom half of your wardrobe.

The picture above inspired me in a great way and reminded me that I don't need to run into a boutique for every outing. Her skirt is made out of newspaper! & although I don't see myself ever walking out with a paper skirt...the point is to think creative and save the cash for the big splurges that I simply can't live w.o. [I'll love myself later]

Several DIY techniques that I often use are very simple...

Whenever I'm pretty much over a shirt or sweater, I'll slit the sleeve at the shoulder, cuttin it down to the center of where your arm-pit and chest meet. The look is simple but a little shoulder almost always adds a bit of 'sexy'.

If you're tired of your plain blue jeans, distress them.
I rememer having a pair of black jeans from LTB that fit me to a T. Unfortunately, some BRAIN washed them and they of course faded. [ugh] I didn't know what to do...I thought to get them dyed but didn't feel like it so I simply cut them into short shorts...twisted them [as if I were ringing them out] tied them in about four sections w. shoe lace and let it sit in bleach.

The color of the bleached part was a lil peachy so I had an idea, which led me to boiling a big pot of hot water and adding passion fruit flavored TAZO tea [that I got from SBUX]. The water was a deep burgundy, so I sat the shorts inside over night and voila! The lines were bugundy-ish as well w. a hint of the original peachy color.

My mother simply shook her head and honestly, it all started from boredom but the point is, I saved some mulah...lost a pair of black jeans [which was cool cuz' summer was right around the corner] and gained a sweet pair of home made tie-dye shorts.

Experiment Dos: I'm a scarf collector. I love em. American Apparel has a circle scarf which I thought was soo dope the first time I saw it but the price didn't rub me right. The scarf is a long piece of material that's simply tied together...for 30+ bills? [NEVs!] I have tons of scarves dying for attention in my closet and honestly, once I connected the ends of a [pink,grey&black] scarf that I have...I had the same thing, but better. & it cost me a measly $9.00.

So...keep in mind
Although our economy happens to be undergoing a drastic change, it doesn't have to be a negative one. [It is, what you make it]
Change is good, especially when it's in your pockets, so make the most of your cents.
Share some of your Recession-ista tips!
<3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment